Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I joined Facebook yesterday

Kenny Bellew's Facebook profile

I joined Facebook yesterday, and received an education. While I was signing up, it gathered up a bunch of people's photos and said something like, "You might know these people. Add them to find out."

The education came the following morning. Apparently, when you add a large group of people that you want to investigate later (to see if you know them), it sends a message to all of them telling them that you want to be their friend.

I'm a friendly guy, so I probably do want to be their friend, but how embarrassing is that? Now, a crowd of people are scratching their heads wondering, "Who the hell is Kenny Bellew and why does he want to be my friend?"

It's kind of like Classmates.com, which will send you an email telling you, on a very regular basis, that someone has "Signed your guestbook." The truth is, someone just clicked on your link on Classmates- probably because I have a photo posted and they wanted to see if they know me. They had no intention of signing my guestbook. They didn't leave me a message. There was no well-wishing going on. However, Classmates very cleverly tells you this so you will sign up to see who has signed your guestbook. Because, that's the only way you will know. Clever. Deceitful. Making them tons of money I'm sure.

Facebook is pretty cool though. I was surprised at how the social networking is setup. They really make it easy to network and make new friends.

No comments: